Huobi Global’s $7.9M Cyber Heist Sends Shockwaves Through TechSphere

Huobi Global’s HTX Crypto Exchange Hacked for $7.9M: Report

In a recent report from blockchain analytics platform Cyvers, it has been revealed that Huobi Global’s HTX crypto exchange was hacked on September 24, resulting in the loss of $7.9 million worth of cryptocurrency. The attack involved a known Huobi hot wallet, which posted a message to the attacker in Chinese. The message stated that the exchange knows the identity of the attacker and has offered them a “white-hat bonus” of 5% of the drained funds if they return the remaining 95%.

The incident was initially detected by Cyvers’ ML-powered system, which identified a suspicious transaction involving HuobiGlobal and HTX_Global. Despite attempts to reach out to HuobiGlobal, no response was received. The suspected Huobi hot wallet, identified as 0x2Abc22eb9A09EbBE7b41737CCde147F586EfeB6A, sent 4,999 Ether (ETH) worth approximately $7.9 million to an address with no previous history.

The following morning, a separate wallet belonging to Huobi sent a message to the attacker in Chinese, confirming their true identity and requesting the return of the funds to 0x18709E89BD403F470088aBDAcEbE86CC60dda12e. The exchange offered a 5% white-hat bonus, valid for 7 days until October 2, 2023. If the funds are not returned by the deadline, judicial intervention will be requested.

Cyvers reported the attack on September 25, and the wallet that sent the message has been identified as a Huobi hot wallet by blockchain analytics platform Arkham Intelligence. The wallet is listed on a Huobi support page as belonging to the exchange.

This is a developing story, and further information will be added as it becomes available.