A jury on Friday acquitted Rittenhouse of all charges relating to the August 25, 2020, incident where he shot three people with an AR-15 style semiautomatic file, killing two and injuring the other, during protests against police brutality in Kenosha, Wisconsin. Rittenhouse had been charged with fatally shooting Joseph Rosenbaum and Anthony Huber and injuring Gaige Grosskreutz and was also charged with recklessly endangering two other men.
Richards said that he “can’t count” the number of death threats he’s received recently. “It’s too high,” he added. The attorney has since taken to using his wife’s cellphone, which he used to speak to Insider, but added that her number has also been targeted by people making death threats. Richards said: “I would love for things to change, for people to talk to one another without fighting, but, unfortunately, I don’t see it changing it any time soon.”
The protests in Kenosha followed the caught-on-camera police shooting of Jacob Blake on August 23, 2020. Rittenhouse’s defense team, which was led by Richards, argued the teen acted in self-defense during the incident and only fired his weapon because he believed he was under attack, as Insider previously reported. The jury’s Friday verdict came after nearly 26 hours of deliberations over four days, as Insider reported. At first, Richards said he could “fluff off” the threatening calls, which began around three weeks ago.” But, he continued, the intensity of these calls increased after Rittenhouse’s acquittal Friday.